Thursday 3 January 2019

New Year Resolutions: What Do You Think?


What are your new years resolutions this year? I know there has been a lot of talk recently about them being meaningless, but I disagree!

I've got to say, I absolutely love this time of year. I know people can be a bit bitter on twitter but in general it's positive time of year full of reflection and resolutions. I felt overwhelming pride watching friends and people I've met throughout the year sharing their successes in 2018 and their plans for the new year. Although they can be cliche, resolutions are positive. Whether it's feeling happier, healthier, creating stronger friendships or working towards a more material goal, it can't be a bad thing!

So how do you make a successful new years resolution? My mum has always compared them to school targets and revision. It has to be specific, manageable and measurable. I'd find turning vegan all of a sudden very hard, but one of my new years resolutions is all about cutting down on animal produce. I also try and have resolutions in different areas. Whether it's work related, health related or environmental goals, it is easier to focus on little things in a lot of areas rather than putting all your time and energy in one area.

Lacking inspiration? Here are mine...

  • Read 24 books this year. See what I mean about specific? I love reading and would happily talk to anyone that would listen about the books I'm reading. But I haven't read much for pleasure in the past few years and there's a list as long as my arm of books I want to read. 
  • Go to the gym twice a week. This is for mental health as well as physical health. At university I'm definitely lacking exercise, and it seems such a shame because I get it free as a first year. 
  • Cut out all beef and buy only dairy free milk. This is environmental more than anything but eating less meat is always a good thing. As a student, I have struggled cutting down meat in general while still eating a good diet but beef and pork I'm going to cut out as much as possible. (Well, always for beef hopefully.)
  • BLOG BLOG BLOG! I absolutely love writing and I love reading blogs. I went through a phase of writing on the blog a lot but lost the time and motivation about a year and a half ago. But now I'm feeling much more inspired and ready to dive right back into writing. But to stick with my 'specific' criteria, I want to write 4 blog posts a month minimum. 

Let me know what yours are, I love hearing new resolutions and goals! 
Happy new year!!

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment