Friday 28 July 2017

The War of the Matte Lipsticks



Hello hello hello,
So now that I am back to writing, I wanted to do an old school makeup post. Considering the obsession with matte liquid lipsticks (which I am openly part of) , I thought it might be a good idea to compare some of the 'drugstores' offerings. Although I could've included  a couple of high end ones, the price difference makes it hard to compare, but quite honestly I would always reach for high street versions every time. I have always written on a student's budget and although it's nice to spend £20 on a lipstick, it's not always practical, so give it a chance yeah? Let's get into it!


Price- £8.99
Colour Range- 12 
I found, when using the two shades that I had purchased, that the darker shade lasted a lot longer and had a better colour pay off. Although they are advertised as matte, they are probably the wettest of the lipsticks I have today, meaning they are not quite as drying but don't have the same staying power. There is a fairly small colour range and they are mostly pinks, not much in the way of browns and the collection is definitely missing a nice red shade. Although this all sounds fairly negative, the fact that they're not drying makes them easy and practical to apply as opposed to drying formulas which you have to be super careful with. I took most of these on holiday with me and hand on heart, the only matte lipstick I trusted to wear on a night out without drying or fading was the fuscia Revlon one, so that must count for something.






















Price- £7.00
Colour Range- 24
Amazing colour range, as with most NYX lip products, and a very good amount of product for the price. After using both the NYX matte lip creams and these, I much prefer these because I think they have a much better application, you get more product on the wand so it transfers nicely. However, compared to the Revlon products, these dry a lot quicker and can look pretty nasty if you don't properly exfoliate and moisturise before. Probably not a good choice if you're somewhere where you can't easily top up or reapply as you might end up with very cracked (although admittedly still coloured) lips. 



















Price- £6.00
Colour Range- 32
Amazing colour selection again and although the colour does not come out as intense as the others (which you can see in the swatch), they are a lot easier to apply. Like most NYX lip products, they smell really nice, quite a sweet smell but not overwhelming. These do dry matte but not as matte as the lingerie which means they are slightly less drying but no where near as long lasting. 



Price- £4.99
Colour Range- 17
These are absolutely amazing for the darker colours and staying power. Although they're quite liquidy when they're first applied, they dry the quickest and most out of all the lipsticks I've mentioned today. I'm sat typing this the day after I took the photos and the swatch I took of this one is still dark on my hand (and I used makeup remover and showered... I promise.) This does mean that, like the Lingerie, your lips need to be fully moisturised and exfoliated before applying but, especially considering the price, I really recommend these if you are looking for a deep colour. As I said though, preparation is key. I wore these on a night out once and had to reapply in the centre of my lips which were dryer so a lovely dark outer line was emerging... not a great look. These are great for darker colours but so drying that they might be a hassle on a night out, an annoying combination.


(... blimey that's a mouthful)
Price- £7.99
Colour Range- 18
A good colour range but a lot of them have got very pink undertones, with only a couple of cooler shades. These are the wettest of the lipsticks, which you can probably see in the swatches compared to the incredibly drying Sleek lipstick above it. A really nice colour pay off and less maintenance so perhaps a little more practical. But personally I find the brush a bit too chunky and the formula a bit too wet so haven't repurchased more of this range. 


So after I finished taking photos, about 10 minutes after maybe, I scrubbed quite hard with a makeup wipe and thought the results were pretty cool and useful to share. Almost instantly the NYX soft creme and the Maybelline Vivid Matte came straight of. The Revlon left a faint stain and the NYX lingerie are still quite clearly in place. But the winner has to be the Sleek Matte Me which is still on my blooming hand now! If you want to judge on staying power, it's hard to argue with this kind of evidence.

I hope this was helpful for some of you, so many brands are doing these now that it's hard to know the difference or which ones are best for you. If I end up trying a couple of more versions, there may be a part 2... I'm kind of liking 'The War of the...', maybe I'll make it into a bit of a series? Let me know what you think! 

Thanks for reading, if you've got any comments or recommendations leave them in the comments below or come say hi on Twitter. 
Bye for now, 

No comments:

Post a Comment