Wednesday 12 September 2018

To University of not to University...

.... That is the question.

And it's a really important question to consider in this modern (and very much broken) education system. My Dad will always tell the story of how he came out of university with £300 rather than a rather scary £40,000+ debt. Now the thing that angers me is that it is THE people that went to university without the worry of debt and therefore became politicians, that have now placed a enormous debt onto each of our shoulders.

But that isn't want I planned on ranting about today. I took a year out before my first year of university and as a result met a lot of people that also didn't go down the 'traditional' path. I mean some were a lot more radical than I was, I'd hardly call taking a gap year radical these days. One girl has spent of a year volunteering on a boat, another has spent plenty of years post university doing 'seasons' rather than using his degree.

What it really opened up to me though was the possibilities outside of the normal 'A levels-University' route.

So my plan is to blog more on this topic. Before taking a gap year, I was really nervous. People didn't really talk about gap years or apprenticeships at my sixth form. It seemed very much like one path. But this year has been easily the best of my life and I really hope my blog could open up the possibility of doing the same!

Laura x

No comments:

Post a Comment